Wednesday, January 21, 2009

DTC 355 - Foss and myself on rhetoric

Rhetoric, as defined by Foss in Contemporary Perspectives on Rhetoric, is "the human use of symbols to communicate" (1). Foss further describes each of the important terms in this definition to elaborate on the meaning. Because I find the word human not needing an explanation, I will skip right to symbols.

Symbols are everywhere. They are letters, numbers, shapes and pictures. A simple hieroglyphic character is a symbol. The grouping and ordering of these symbols are what gives them meaning; sometimes symbols standing alone have a meaning in themselves as well. This grouping of symbols is the part of rhetoric that is doing the communicating. Foss describes communication just as another word for rhetoric; however, he states, some professionals would disagree (4). I, on the other hand, would have to agree with Foss.

When it comes to defining rhetoric, the first term that occurs to me is infact, communication. Not only is rhetoric communication, but the style of which this communication is being conveyed. The rhetoric I use on a day-to-day basis, for example, would include symbols grouped to create words like "dude", "awesome". Though there are definitely exceptions, this rhetoric is generally used by a younger population. While I studied abroad in Florence, Italy last semester, the rhetoric I used there was completely different than what I use now. In Italy, depending on who I was speaking to, my rhetoric would include simple words and phrases in English, or simple words and phrases in Italian. While speaking with locals I would have to speak slowly picking and choosing my words wisely to be sure there would not be any misunderstanding from my style of communication. When writing an email to my mother or a professor, the rhetoric I use will be very different.

In every situation, every person may use a different style of rhetoric. The above mentioned are only a few that I might use on a day-to-day basis, excluding Italy of course because I am no longer there. Rhetoric is our use of symbols to communicate in every way.



"The art of using language, especially public speaking, as a means to persuade" (Rhetoric).

"The style of writing, the art of composition such that the
written piece comes to serve a particular purpose, whether descriptive,
persuasive, or interpretive" (Glossary).


Works Cited

Foss, Sonja K., Karen A. Foss, and Robert Trapp. Contemporary Perspectives on Rhetoric. 3rd. Waveland Press.

"Glossary from the New Interpreter’s Study Bible ." 21 Jan 2009 <www.philosophy-religion.org/bible/glossary_new-interpreters-bible.htm>.

"Rhetoric." Wiktionary. 21 Jan 2009 <http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/rhetoric>.

1 comment:

  1. Excellent work! I really enjoyed reading you apply the reading.

    Questions:
    1. Why doesn't human need explanation?
    2. Do you agree with the "human" part in Foss?

    ReplyDelete